CenterPoint Earns LEED® Certification for Port of Oakland Spec Development
Posted By Staff Writers On October 22, 2020 @ 10:40 am
OAK BROOK, IL – CenterPoint Properties is proud to announce its landmark development, CenterPoint Landing at Oakland Seaport, has been awarded LEED “Silver Core & Shell” certification by the U.S. Green Building Council. The USGBC certification means the building has been designed and constructed using strategies to reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, save energy, improve indoor air quality and use water efficiently.
“The tenants we work with demand modern, high-performance facilities, and increasingly they’re interested in occupying environmentally friendly facilities,” said William Lu, CenterPoint Senior Vice President of Development. “Our development teams from coast-to-coast are focused on delivering healthy, highly efficient and cost-saving green structures.”
John Lass, CenterPoint Vice President of Development, West Region, added: “We are proud of the work the project team did developing a state-of-the-art first-mile facility at the former Oakland Army Base site which included the hiring of a significant number of workers from the local community. We appreciate all of our partners at the Port of Oakland.”
Since beginning work in 2018 on the 27-acre, 466,000 SF distribution facility, CenterPoint instituted many sustainability measures and achieved the following milestones:
– Preferred-parking was allocated for electric, fuel-efficient/low-emitting and high-occupancy vehicles. Underground infrastructure was installed to support future electric vehicle charging.
– A reflective roof membrane was installed to reduce the amount of heat from the sun absorbed by the building and improve the overall microclimate.
– Drought-tolerant plants and a high-efficiency irrigation system were used to cut potable water for irrigation by 57%.
– Low flow plumbing fixtures were used throughout the facility to reduce indoor potable water consumption by 33%.
– Building design measures and mechanical systems were implemented to slash energy consumption by 48%.
– Over 40% of the building materials contain recycled and locally sourced materials.
– Over 84% of construction waste was diverted from landfills.
– Interior finishes – including adhesives, sealants, paints and flooring – with low levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) were used to improve indoor air quality.
– 332 skylights were installed to increase occupant comfort and reduce lighting power density (LPD).
“It has been a pleasure working with the Port of Oakland and community stakeholder groups as part of the Jobs and Workforce Policy Agreement working group on this exciting project,” said Elena Daniel, CenterPoint Vice President of ESG & Corporate Affairs. “This certification addresses the working group’s stated desire for an energy and resource-efficient building with the right sustainability. It is the right thing to do for our environment and Oakland.”
For CenterPoint Development, Investment, and Asset Management opportunities in the West Region, please contact:
About CenterPoint Properties
CenterPoint is an industrial real estate company made up of dedicated thinkers, innovators and leaders with the creativity and know-how to tackle the industry’s toughest challenges. And it’s those kinds of problems—the delicate, the complex, the seemingly-impossible—that we relish most. Because with an agile team, substantial access to capital and industry-leading expertise, those are exactly the kinds of problems we’re built to solve. For more information on CenterPoint Properties, visit centerpoint.com, follow @CenterPointProp on Twitter or engage with us on LinkedIn.