CenterPoint Earns Green Building Certification at Second Port Everglades Facility
Posted By Staff Writers On November 20, 2020 @ 10:41 am
OAK BROOK, IL. – CenterPoint Properties is proud to announce it has earned the “Florida Green” certification for 3413 McIntosh Road in Hollywood, Florida. The Florida Green Building Coalition has now awarded its “Silver” certification to both of CenterPoint’s buildings at its first-ever South Florida development, the Port Everglades International Logistics Center.
“When we broke ground in South Florida 18 months ago, we knew we were developing in one of the most advantageous locations in the Southeast U.S. for port users. Our mission was to construct high-performance, modern facilities that give our tenants cost-savings, make a low environmental impact and offer significant benefits for workers,” said Ronel Borner, CenterPoint Senior Vice President of Development.
Brian Hollings, CenterPoint Vice President of Development, added: “We are pleased to be recognized for achieving the high bar set by the Florida Green Building Coalition twice now at Port Everglades. We’re proud of the team for persevering through challenging times this year to fulfill our vision for creating these two remarkable and highly sustainable Port facilities.”
CenterPoint instituted a multitude of sustainability measures on the 7-acre, 151,000 SF property to earn the Florida Green certification, including the following:
- Energy use was reduced by 41% above the state building code.
- Occupancy sensors were implemented for lighting control.
- High-efficiency lighting, primarily LED, was used throughout the inside and outside of the building to reduce energy use significantly.
- Optimal operation of HVAC, lighting and plumbing equipment was ensured through basic commissioning and testing.
- Drought-tolerant landscaping and non-invasive plants were installed, and the landscape design included reduced turf to require less irrigation.
- Rain sensors were installed and verified to control irrigation levels.
- Low flow plumbing fixtures were installed in water closets, urinals and lavatories.
- Erosion Sedimentation Control and Stormwater Pollution Prevention measures were implemented and monitored throughout construction.
- A Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) certified professional was assigned to monitor the site during construction.
- Crews constructed the building with a white reflective roof to reduce the heat island effect and energy consumption.
- Exterior lighting fixtures were installed to reduce light pollution in the sky by shining only down on the property.
- Formaldehyde-free insulation was used throughout the building.
- Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Management best practices for construction were followed to reduce interior contaminants.
- The floor layout design allows office staff to have a view of the outdoors.
- All windows have impact glazing for hurricane protection.
- The finished floor elevation was raised, and mechanical equipment was placed on the roof to protect the facility from flooding.
- Fire-resistant tilt-up concrete walls were installed.
“We are proud of the hard work we’re doing in South Florida and in our markets coast-to-coast to reduce our carbon footprint and deliver very real cost-cutting benefits for our tenants,” said Elena Daniel, CenterPoint Vice President of ESG and Corporate Affairs.
The newly-certified building at the Port Everglades International Logistics Center is available for lease and ready for immediate occupancy.
For CenterPoint Development, Asset Management, and Investment Opportunities in the Eastern Region, please contact:
Senior Vice President
Senior Vice President
Senior Vice President
About CenterPoint Properties
CenterPoint is an industrial real estate company made up of dedicated thinkers, innovators and leaders with the creativity and know-how to tackle the industry’s toughest challenges. And it’s those kinds of problems—the delicate, the complex, the seemingly-impossible—that we relish most. Because with an agile team, substantial access to capital and industry-leading expertise, those are exactly the kinds of problems we’re built to solve. For more information on CenterPoint Properties, visit centerpoint.com, follow @CenterPointProp on Twitter or engage with us on LinkedIn.